Frequently Asked Questions
Below is important information regarding GetUP, United Way’s virtual physical challenge: How to register and donate, virtual event etiquette, ways to participate, as well as frequently asked questions. Please review all information before taking part in the event.
Follow @UWGreaterTO on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram for helpful, real-time information leading up to the event. You can also share your progress and participation stats on your social media by tagging @UWGreaterTO and using #UP4Community.
WHAT IS GETUP?
GetUP is United Way Greater Toronto’s annual virtual physical challenge. It’s an opportunity to get your blood pumping while showing your local love for our community.
We’re asking you to GetUP, move your body and engage in a physical activity of your choice for 300 minutes (one minute for each United Way-supported agency that is providing critical services to thousands of people across the GTA) over a 10-day period from Nov. 1-10.
- It’s a great opportunity for you to get together with friends, family or colleagues and get active in support of your community. Just remember to be safe! And don’t forget to share your progress on social media with the hashtag #UP4Community! Participants can invite friends and family to register to GetUP together to complete their 300 minutes.
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR THIS VIRTUAL EVENT?
To register for this virtual event, just click here!
BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATING IN GETUP
All registrants will receive:
- A welcome kit, including a branded resistance band and resistance band workout guide to use, if you choose, to achieve some of your GetUP minutes. Your welcome kit will be mailed to your home address between the weeks of Oct. 3-31. Early registration will enable you to receive your welcome kit prior to the event campaign period (Nov. 1-10).
- A chance to win amazing prizes if you fundraise $100 and up.
- An opportunity to support United Way’s work making sure all our neighbours have what they need to thrive.
IS THERE A REGISTRATION FEE* AND FUNDRAISING MINIMUM FOR THE EVENT?
- There is a $20 registration fee for adults, $10 for youth (18 years old and under).
- All participants are encouraged to raise a suggested fundraising minimum: $100 for adults, $60 for youth (18 years old and under).
* Registration fee covers the cost to produce and mail out the welcome kit.
AS A RETURNING UNITED WAY EVENT PARTICIPANT, CAN I USE LAST YEAR’S USERNAME AND PASSWORD?
WHAT HAPPENS IF I FORGET MY PASSWORD?
- If you have forgotten your password, click the “Forgot Username and Password” link on the log-in screen. A temporary password will be emailed to you.
HOW DO I JOIN A TEAM?
- If you have registered as an individual, but wish to join a team, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will assist you.
- If you have not registered and you wish to join a team, your Team Captain will send you an email to invite you to join the team. This email will include a link to the team page, where you can register and create a profile. If you were not invited by email to join a team, you can join one in the following way:
- From the home page, click on the “Join a Team” option
- Find the name of your desired team and company name in the drop-down menu, select the team and click “Join"
- Create your profile
HOW DO I CANCEL MY REGISTRATION?
- If you would like to cancel your registration, please contact us at email@example.com. We are not able to refund the registration fee or any donations that have been received by United Way Greater Toronto prior to the time of your cancellation. Let your sponsors know that you have cancelled.
HOW DO I REMOVE MYSELF FROM A TEAM OR CHANGE TEAMS?
CAN I REGISTER DURING THE EVENT DATES FROM NOVEMBER 1 to 10?
- Online registration is permitted during Nov. 1-10, 2022. If you register during this time, your welcome kit will be mailed to you after the event.
CAN I SPONSOR AN ENTIRE TEAM?
- Yes, you can sponsor an entire team. Go to the Team Page of your friends, co-workers or family and click the “Donate” button.
WHAT IS THE MINIMUM DONATION REQUIRED FOR MY SPONSORS TO RECEIVE A TAX RECEIPT?
- There is no minimum donation required to receive a tax receipt if they make the donation online. Online donors will be issued an electronic tax receipt instantly via email.
- For cash or cheque, the minimum donation is $25 to be eligible for a tax receipt, and it will be mailed in early February 2023.
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to submit offline donations (cash or cheque).
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A TAX RECEIPT AFTER DONATING ONLINE?
WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH OFFLINE DONATIONS?
- Please submit credit card payment by using the online registration and donation system. IMPORTANT: you must enter your donor’s email address when entering offline donations for them to receive a tax receipt. If your email address is used, the tax receipt will be issued under your name.
- If you would like to submit offline donation (cash or cheque), please contact us at email@example.com.
- All fundraising including offline donation must be submitted by Nov. 29 to qualify for incentive prize.
WHERE DOES ALL THE FUNDRAISING MONEY FROM GETUP GO?
All funds raised for GetUP go directly towards United Way Greater Toronto’s work addresses the challenges of today while building a better tomorrow for everyone in the GTA. We do that by funding a robust network of agencies, partnering across sectors, conducting groundbreaking research, and leading on advocacy. We support more 300 social service agencies across Peel, Toronto and York Region; fund 1,100+ programs; and impact 2 million people, keeping them housed, fed, connected, engaged, safe, and moving.
VIRTUAL PHYSICAL ACTIVITY ETIQUETTE
- You can choose to participate in the GetUP challenge on your own. However, as physical distancing measures have eased, we encourage you to participate with family, friends and colleagues in person, in a comfortable and safe environment.
- Pick a time and place you know you’ll be able to complete the physical activity in a safe manner. Avoid high traffic areas and ensure you wear visible/bright clothing or a reflective vest (reflective safety vests are inexpensive and available for purchase at most hardware stores).
- Stay hydrated! Bring enough fluids or nutrition to accommodate your abilities and physical participation plan. Listen to your body, slow down and take breaks if necessary.
- Have a check-in buddy! Let someone you know that you are participating in our virtual event and the activity you plan to take. Ensure your cell phone is charged and you’ll be able to call for help in case of any emergencies.
- Completing your physical challenge indoors is an option. If you have access to a treadmill, an elliptical or a stationary bike, go for it!